Limmud links around the world

By Yvonne Selecki, volunteer at Limmud Oz Sydney

Author Amos Oz  
When I first started going to Limmud-Oz events, I thought Limmud was an odd name and it took me a while to realise that Limmud means learning in Hebrew. Even the Oz part wasnt all that clear because there is the Israeli writer, Amos Oz, so maybe it was another Hebrew term. Yes, I am one of those "Judaically-challenged", secular, non-observant Jews who are unfamiliar with a whole lot of words and customs that other Jews might expect you to know. But from the beginning I understood the Limmud motto "wherever you find yourself, Limmud will take you one step further on your Jewish journey." It’s an idea that has caught on in Jewish communities all over the world from Melbourne to Peru to Oresund (I had to look it up too!).

My "Limmud Journey" started with curiosity, a love of politics, Israel and the Arts. After being part of a magical session with a Hassidic Jew talking about the biblical references in Bob Dylans music I was hooked. Not only had I found a group of Bob Dylan tragics like myself, I had learnt more about Hassidism than I had ever thought I wanted to know. Who would have thought these bearded men who seem from another century were radical for their love of dance and song?

 Limmud guru Clive Lawton
Limmud International Training on Tour
Sydney, September 2014
So thats the short version behind how I found myself volunteering for Limmud Sydney events and recently found myself at the “International Limmud on Tour” training event. Limmud has grown so much; events in over 40 cities, there had to be a way we could learn from each other and feel part of a wider family.

So we met with fellow Limmudniks from Melbourne, Perth, New Zealand, India, China, South Africa and the United Kingdom for training run by Limmud International to share strategies and inspiration and to further the Limmud motto "to make connections."
The Australasia team
Limmud International Training on Tour, Sydney, September 2014

While each community mighty have its own flavour many of the challenges were the same. While Limmud has grown so far and wide due to the incredible enthusiasm of its volunteers, volunteers can also be challenging. It can be like herding cats. I can put my hand up there. How late was this blog? (Very late.) I said I would do it but does that mean I will?  When do you give up and just do it yourself or find someone else?  Should you ever trust me with a blog again? What's a nice way of saying, not what we are looking for?  How do you encourage new volunteers and avoid burn out for all those left filling in the gaps? In true Talmudic tradition, questions lead to more questions.

Limmud always seems so very well organised and the event run by Limmud International was no exception. In well-structured activities we explored the principles of Limmud. Principles can sound wonderful and profound like "valuing diversity" and making all Jews welcome. However, to use a very un-Jewish metaphor, the devil is in the detail.  

Allowing some members of the community to speak, especially those critical of Israel, has caused conflict and ill will. What is the cost for the event if members with controversial views speak? We know that doesn't mean Limmud as an organisation supports those views but that is not the way it is seen by the community. Providing a platform for a view is seen as an endorsement. Is the negative publicity they create and ill-feeling from donors, worth it? I am more of the Voltaire view "I might disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" but it not always that simple. By allowing some presenters to speak do we jeopardise the whole event? How much do you allow the few loud voices or funders dictate the programme or do you just try to reflect the community you wish to engage? There is probably a relevant rabbinical quote out there somewhere.

Now I know there are communities in far flung regions of the world grappling with the same highs and lows of hosting Limmud events. As I hurtle towards that challenge of helping organise volunteers for Limmud Fest, the residential event just outside of Sydney on November 28-30, I know I am part of something way bigger than myself with resources to match. Go on, put your hand up, volunteering will be fun.

Go NOW to www.limmud-oz.com.au for more details about Limmud Fest. Full program to be released in late September, but bookings are now open. 

Comments